CHORUS Policy Brief: Preparedness of Urban Primary Healthcare Centres of Bangladesh in Managing Diabetes Mellitus and Hypertension
As part of the CHORUS Project in Bangladesh looking at ‘Strengthening the Urban Primary Health Care System to Deliver Essential Non-Communicable Disease Care to the Urban Poor’, ARK Foundation have produced a Policy Brief to share the key findings:
- Service Delivery: Primary health care centers in urban areas are mainly focused on maternal and child health, and sexual and reproductive health.
- Health Workforce: Primary health care centres in urban areas lacked dedicated personnel for NCD service delivery
- Drugs and Equipment: NCD medications were seldom seen at primary health care centres in urban areas
- Health Financing: No funds are allocated separately for NCD management or medications
- Health Information System: Absence of a separate NCD record-keeping mechanism
- Leadership and Governance: Lack of coordination between MoHFW and MoLGRDC